Friday, August 2, 2013

page 55-The day the world stood still

I would like to start by saying I have pretty worn out shoes. So I would suggest some clean socks for this brief journey today.

I started this a few days ago and just finished it tonight. Since its such a large piece I'm breaking it up into two posts. I'm also adding pictures for the first time so we will see how it works out. Like a bad memory I completely forgot about today's date. July 29, 2010 about 9:30 in the morning. That's when I got the call. The call that changed my life. My pearl harbor, my 9/11. I can't believe it been 3 years already. My old lady just called me and as soon as she ask me what today is I snapped right into that moment. My mind is on overload hashing all of this up. So bare with if I wander. I was living in Palm Bay, Fl at the time which is on the east coast of the state. At the time of this event she was battling a lot pain issues that caused her to make a lot of bad choices. She frequently visited the E.R.'s in our area to the point where they started to refuse to give her pain medication. They pretty much called her a junkie. Was she I'm not sure. All I know it was a hectic time in our lives and I guess it was a matter of time before something like this was going to occur.
The day pior to the 29th we just acquired our very first family vehicle. The iconic soccer mom van. A lot of events had to happen just to buy the damn thing. First my good buddy held it for me even though he had a buyer willing to pay an extra $300. Second my mom called in some favors and came up with the 2 grand to pay for the van. As we drove the van home we start talking about this vaction, that vaction. Now riding with the kids will be less hectic cause there is more room. We were going to get a new car radio, dvd system for the kids, tinted windows, the whole nine yards. Its werid that van symbolizethe american dream,family and good vibes. Finally a win for us, mark it on the win column. I get woken up at 4 in the morning to her getting dressed. At first for a second I thought I was dreaming. She tells me that she's planning to drive to Kissimmee to go the hospital. I spring out of bed in a panic. First she is on medication, second not the greatest of drivers, and third Kissimmee is 70 miles away. I pleaded with her and try that this is a very bad idea. I had a very bad feeling about this. She leaves only to come back immediately cause the battery of the van is dead. There were no issues with the battery before and now magically there is. Yet another warning sign saying don't fucking go! Instead of taking the other car she wanted to take the van. It turns to be a life saving desicion. Against my better judgment I give the van a boost and she was gone in a flash. 
Little did I know it was the last time I would see her walk normal again. My head hits the pillow and as if seconds went by I'm woken up by the bickering of my children. Its 9:30 in the morning now t minus one hour till the call. I staggered out of bed like a bear out of hibernation. I make breakfast for the munchkins. I get on the Xbox and just relax. 10:27 I get a complaint. My daughter begins to snitch on her brother about god knows what this time. I slowly fall into oblivion as she goes on, ring, ring. Oh thank god saved by the bell, my phone is ringing. With much relief and gratitude I answer, "hello". With doubt and controlled panic he responses, "is this Richard? " My world start to slow down as I anticipate the downward spiral of this situation. "Yes it is, who is this?" "You don't know me but your wife asked me to call you she's been in a car accident." My initial reaction was not another fucking accident. I was so livid, I told you so was playing on a loop thru my head. Call me a son of a bitch for not thinking about her health first, but that's where I was emotionally and mentally at the moment. Not an excuse just the plain truth, as fucked up as it was at the time. Before I could finish my thought he continued " I called 911 already, she's pinned underneath a semi." The van size saved her life. As quickly as I was engulfed in anger, it quickly decimated in to anxiety and panic for her life. The thought of never seeing her again paralyzed me.







No comments:

Post a Comment